U.S. visa for international

Explore Your Study Options
with OpToStudy!


U.S. visa for international student

Student visa requirements for the US

Once you’ve applied for your course, you'll need to start thinking about applying for your visa, if you are an international student who wants to study in the U.S., then you must obtain a student visa.

The whole process is time-consuming and you will need to start preparing well in advance. The application process requires an interview, for which you will have to prepare and practice. OpToStudy Team can help you navigate this process, to make sure that you successfully get a student visa to study in the U.S.

The visa you need will depend on your age and the type of study you wish to pursue in the US. Here’s an overview of the types of study visas and their application requirements:

Types of student visa

  • F-1 Student Visa - to study at an accredited US college or university or to study English at an English language institute.

    Arrival in the USA: A student can arrive in the US no earlier than 30 days before the start date on the immigration document (I-20).

  • J Exchange Visa - for participation in an exchange program, including high school and university study.

    Arrival in the USA: A student can arrive in the US no earlier than 30 days before the start date on the immigration document (I-20).

  • M Student Visa - for non-academic or vocational study or training in the US.

    Arrival in the USA: A student can arrive in the US no earlier than 30 days before the start date on the immigration document (I-20).

Documents required for a US student visa

You should always check with your specific Embassy and Travel.State.Gov for the latest information.

In general, students are asked to provide the following documentation:

  • A valid passport that is valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the US (unless exempt by country specific agreements),
  • Original I-20,
  • Proof of payment of SEVIS fee,
  • Completed DS-160 form (Non-immigrant visa application),
  • Acceptance Letter,
  • Academic transcripts (with translations),
  • Financial evidence used for the I-20,
  • Passport-sized photograph.

How can we help with visa applications?

If you’re our student with an offer letter from any of our partner institutions in the USA, we can advise you on how to go about the entire process. We’ll make sure you are fully informed on the latest visa requirements and conditions; also help you prepare the right documents for your submission.

Our Team will direct you to the official websites and to authorized immigration representatives to ensure you have the latest application forms and guidance. To reduce the hassle, we can also help to certify, translate and courier your documents.

FREE 'Study in the USA' eBook

Here’s a comprehensive guide for all international students who want to study in the USA, detailing study visa tips, guide to visa interview and many more... GET EBOOK


Dance Studio 9 Zalov (9 ЗАЛОВ)
Lal Language Centres
Oxford Sixth Form College
Bangor University International College
OISE Language Coaching
Oxford Study Trips
Brighton Language College
ONCAMPUS Cambridge Education Group
Oxford International  Teacher Training
Bucksmore Education
Oxford International Education Group
Stafford House International
Cambridge School of Visual & Performing Arts
Oxford International College
Stafford House Summer
Cambridge CATS
De Montfort University International College
Twin UK
Cambridge CATS
D' Overbroecks Oxford
Ulearn English School Dublin
Cambridge Education Group
International College Dundee (ICD)
Cambridge Education Group Digital
Oxford International English Schools
Delfin English School
University of Greenwich International College (UGIC)
EC English School
Hellene Travel Specialist Classical Tours
Hansa Language Center
Bucksmore Homelingua
Hansa College
Oxford International Junior Programmes
Heriot-Watt University Dubai Campus
Oxford International North America
UK College of Business & Computing