Initial Steps: April 2020 to September 2020
- Start early and by August, shortlist 8-12 universities that you will apply to. Visit university websites and note application requirements, deadlines etc.
- By September, be familiar with bank loan options and scholarships to fund your studies.
- Begin by downloading admissions brochures from the university websites. Most brochures are out more than a year earlier.
- Do some initial research on various accommodation options.
Crack the Exams: June 2020 to December 2020
- Prepare for required standardized tests like GMAT, GRE, SAT, TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE – depending on the course and university.
- By June-July or three months before the test date, register for GMAT/GRE.
- Register for TOEFL/IELTS at least a month before the test date.
- Take the required tests around September. Plan for buffer time in case you need to retake the test.
It’s application time: August 2020 to October 2020 – Study in Canada application timeline
- Shortlist the colleges and prepare for your application. Think hard about what makes you unique as an applicant and sketch out your strengths and self-assessment.
- Contact your professors and direct managers for the required 2-3 reference letters. At least a month before your application deadline.
- Begin drafting your SOP and essays. Give a month’s time to structure these documents properly.
- Apply before the deadline
What next: November 2020 to April 2021
- Don’t delay replying to college e-mails. And there will be quite a few!
- Appear for personal/video interviews. These are scheduled around January to March.
- Once you get acceptance letters, make your decision as soon as possible.
- Depending on the deadline, notify the universities of your decision.
- You will need to pay a non-refundable deposit to confirm your admission.
Visa and money matters: May 2021 to July 2021
- Search for and begin applying for external scholarships (if applicable).
- Apply for student loan, after you get your acceptance letter.
- Gather paperwork for your student visa. Check visa requirements.
- Apply for student visa in time. Keep in mind the time taken for visa processing!
Get ready to fly: July 2021 to August 2021
- Book airline tickets.
- Arrange for an International Debit/Credit card.
- Collect all the documents and their photocopies, to take along.
- Check out Pre-departure checklist!